Wednesday 4 May 2016

Hiddink: Leicester asked me before Ranieri


Guus Hiddink Chelsea
Interim Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink could have been Leicester’s manager this season but he decided to ‘do nothing’ instead.
Hiddink was approached by the Foxes when they decided to dispense with the services of Nigel Pearson but Hiddink wanted a rest after a difficult spell in charge of the Netherlands national team.
“It is true Leicester asked me [to be their coach] for this season,” Hiddink told De Telegraaf.
“But I had decided it was time for a rest, and I wanted to just do nothing.”
Hiddink then returned to Chelsea in December and has lifted them into ninth place with a record similarly to Arsene Wenger’s at Arsenal in that spell.
“It turned out a great half season and I want to finish well with these last three matches,” he said.
“The club was in a negative flow and there was panic. It was my task to restore a calm atmosphere and that happened.
“If we kept losing, even to a club like Chelsea there could have been big problems – just like nobody expected Leicester to became champions, that could have happened.”

No comments:

Post a Comment